Friday, January 20, 2017

news

the yellow wall paper, 1988  hand made paper, cotton, fuzing and stitch,
typed text from Charlotte Perkins Gilman's short story 
I have a lot of news.
I am putting it into this single post.
All illustrations are stitched paper pieces I made when I was 32 or so. (sorry,they are scanned from slides and some are fuzzy}
"I kept still and watched the moonlight on that undulating wall paper until I felt creepy"
I am still experiencing a lot of pain and lameness in my left leg.  (bad news )
section of diptych Woman is Nurture  watercolour on paper, stitched to velvet, found text 1987
I am preparing a solo show for a commercial gallery in Toronto for this coming October.  The gallery is the David Kaye Gallery.  (good news)
I am making new work for it.  (more good news)
Grandmother's Paper Garden 1987, women's magazine papers stitched to cotton
I am included in a new book about the history of the art quilt.  The quilt that will represent me is from the 80's  here and here  I'm very thrilled to be included among such important quilt artists as Nancy Crow, Dorothy Caldwell, Yvonne Porcella, Chungie Lee, Michaael James, Yoshiko Jinzenji...on and on.  here is the entire list.  (good news)
The Mother The Child 1988 cut up watercolour painting and family photographs stitched to damask,
overlayed with ink drawing on sheer organza 
That reminds me that Martha Sileman's International Art Quilts: Abstract and Geometric came out last month.  (here)
the mother the child detail ( nine-patches made from photos of my childhood and paintings of tree branches)
 I saved the best news for last.
the mother the child 1988 stitched paper on damask , a self portrait
We have a new baby in our family.  Maia was born Thursday January 19, a little sister for Aili.

14 comments:

Liz A said...

Oh, that is the best news of all. Welcome to the world Maia!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Congratulations on the new baby - Maia.

Mo Crow said...

what a wonderful post full of good news & new beginnings

Ms. said...

Damn Pains, Hooray the many gains especially the new child!
"Mother and Child" is a beautiful quilt. Absolutely beautiful.

Vivian said...

Congratulations for all the good news Judy! Hope your pains will go away soon :)

Sandra Reford said...

All great news!! Sorry about your leg though.

Margaret said...

Mazel tov for all your good news -- especially the new baby! And I continue to pray your leg will heal and pain be relieved soon.

Stephanie said...

I am sad to read of the leg pain, Judy.
Otherwise such good news and especially your new granddaughter Maia!

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

Sorry about your leg, and tickled pink about the abundance of goodness here. Congratulations - a basketful of congratulations to you and your beautiful, talented family.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Kissing baby toes should help the pain ease, even if for just a short time.

Judy you deserve all that recognition yourself, yes you do.

Judy Martin said...

You are all so great - thank you for the encouraging comments, and for the congratulations on our new baby's safe arrival.

I have been quilting for 40 years, and my work has changed over time, from narrative pieces about mothering and being an artist, to more abstract simplifications of inner space, outer place. I am interested to see the pieces selected for that art quilt retrospective book. xo

Velma Bolyard said...

you are wise to stay off the airplane for the HOURS and HOURS it takes to get there (and home). i am sorry to hear about the continued pain and hope that giving yourself some stress-free time will help it heal. many congratulations on the good and great news.

Montse Llamas said...

I am sorry to hear about your pain, but very happy with all the wonderful good news. Congratulations!

Myra said...

Congratulations to you and Ned. Grandchildren are the greatest. Congrats on all your good news. Sorry about your leg.